The Chester Beatty (Library) is a public charitable trust established under the will of the late Sir Alfred Chester Beatty, who left his Collections in the care of a Trust for the benefit of the Irish people. As a charitable institution, the Chester Beatty is responsible directly to the Charities Regulator and is subject to all duties and responsibilities of the Charities Act 2009. It is approximately 80% funded by the Department of Culture, Heritage and the Gaeltacht, and is a registered Public Sector Body.
The Chester Beatty is governed and owned by a Board of Trustees appointed under the terms of the will of Sir Alfred Chester Beatty as modified by an order of the High Court of 16 December 1997. The new arrangements for service of trustees, the appointment of ministerial nominees to the Board of Trustees and of a new location for the Chester Beatty were approved by the Court in accordance with an agreement made between the Trustees and Government in 1996 and are now in operation.
The Board of Trustees consists of a maximum of twelve members, one each of whom is appointed by the President and Taoiseach and three by the Minister for Culture, Heritage & the Gaeltacht. The Director of the National Library serves as a Trustee ex officio. All other Trustees are co-opted. The Trustees elect the Chair.
Since 1997, the Trustees of the museum are appointed or co-opted to serve five-year terms and may serve a maximum of two consecutive five-year terms. Trustees do not receive any remuneration, aside from modest receipted expenses incurred, while carrying out their duties. All expenses are paid in accordance with the guidelines and rules set down by the Department of Public Expenditure and Reform.
The Trustees of the Chester Beatty are currently:
- Chair: Dr Catherine Day (appointed 2015, elected Chair 2017)
- Dr Sandra Collins (appointed 2015) Ex officio
- Mr Dermot Desmond (appointed 1991)
- Ms Clare Duignan (appointed 2018) Ministerial appointee
- Mr David Gillett (appointed 2018) Ministerial appointee
- Professor Brian McGing (appointed 2013; reappointed 2018) Taoiseach appointee
- Mr John Neary (appointed 2018) Ministerial appointee
- Mr Tony O’Grady (appointed 2018)
- Professor Roger Stalley (appointed 1993) Presidential Appointee
Registered Charity No. CHY 5879.