The Chester Beatty offers a selection of tour options. From free drop-in public tours, to private guided tours and Self -Guided visits. To book a guided tour, click on your desired date and time below, noting that tours are limited to a maximum of 15 participants and must be booked a minimum of three weeks in advance. Click 'See more' below for full guidelines and more information.
Free drop-in public tours take place every Wednesday at 1pm, Saturdays at 2pm and Sundays at 3pm.
Suitable for individual visitors, families and small groups (under 5 participants), these informal tours provide a general introduction to Chester Beatty’s exhibitions.
Tours last for approx. 1 hour, are free of charge and delivered on a first-come, first-served basis, limited to 20 participants.
Free public tours in Arabic, Japanese and Mandarin are scheduled on a regular basis. For more information please see our Whats On Guide here.
Conversations on Art: Dementia-Friendly Tours
The Chester Beatty offers tours specially designed for people living with dementia and their loved ones, on the first Tuesday of each month at 12noon. Enjoy an afternoon of conversations on art and a tour of our beautiful collections. Limited to 10 participants per tour. To book this type of tour please contact 014070766.
The following guidelines apply:
- Tours are limited to a maximum of 15 participants and must be booked a minimum of three weeks in advance.
- If your group is larger, two separate bookings are required.
- Please note that all of our Tour Guides are Volunteers and do not work on site; while we will endeavour to secure a guide for your selected date, we will contact you if there is any problem with your booking.
- Please use the calendar below to request your desired date and time slot and we will contact you as soon as possible. As a minimum of three week's notice is required, please note that guided tour options will not be shown for any dates prior to that time.
Self – guided visits for groups
The Chester Beatty welcomes self-guided visits; however to make the experience enjoyable for all members of public, we ask that the following guidelines are observed:
- It is essential that all self-guided visits are booked a minimum of three weeks in advance of the preferred date of visit to ensure entry, especially during busy periods.
- Please announce the group upon arrival at the reception desk. The maximum group size is 15. If two groups were booked, please remember they must remain divided into separate sub-groups with designated leaders. Groups of more than 15 may not be permitted into the same gallery at the one time.
- If you plan to bring a large group that exceeds 15 participants, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and we will endeavour to accommodate you. A minimum of three weeks’ notice is required.
- Note for schools: the Chester Beatty does not provide a dedicated space for eating lunches. There is a café within the museum for the general public.
Please select your desired date, time and type of tour below and go to 'Checkout'. All tours (with the exception of self-guided groups) must be booked a minimum of three weeks in advance. Only the 'Self-Guided Group' option will apear below if you select a date earlier than the minimum notice period.